What must be taken into account before putting on dental prostheses? Believe it or not, oral health contributes to the physical state of people. If you have lost a tooth for whatever reason, it should be replaced, and dentures are the best alternative.
To carry out this dental procedure, pre and post care must be followed. In addition, to continue with some essential security measures. It is a method used to find a functional structure with the natural tooth. Dental prostheses conform to the jawbone and form a secure anchor for it.
It should be noted that there is currently no other technique that can give the patient similar results. Dental prostheses are one of the great advances achieved by dentistry in the field of prosthetics or implantology. But, this does not prevent you from having to follow some basic procedures and principles so that the results can be as expected and avoid future problems.
Dental prostheses consist of a fixation very similar to a screw, which replaces the root of the tooth. This fixation is attached to the bone and in it the crown, bridges or dental prosthesis will be placed, which will be in charge of replacing the missing pieces.
Studies prior to placing a dental prosthesis
The complete diagnosis of your mouth is one of the first things that the dentist must evaluate, with the help of a CT scan or panoramic X-ray, ask various questions to have knowledge of your medical history and in some cases assess whether you are psychologically fit to place .
Why is oral health important?
We cannot forget that the mouth is an organ, which is why a global approach is always required, supported by a multidisciplinary approach and in this way prevent complications from arising.
It is essential to emphasize that implantology is an invasive method, so it is not recommended to go to any site where they offer you a very low price. These may lack some disciplines of great importance for the dental prosthesis to work correctly and where they do not give you the guarantee that this process requires.
In terms of experience and quality
Without a doubt, the quality of patients with dental prostheses improves significantly, however, before undergoing this type of treatment, some aspects must be considered, such as:
The dentist’s experience
Before agreeing to place the prosthesis, you must gather information about the professional who is going to perform the work and the clinic where the procedure will be carried out, ask other patients or through other means such as the internet. Considering that on the web you can find some information such as basic experience, if you are specialized in implantology, if you are a member, among others.
Possibilities and treatment
It is important that you know that as a patient, you have every right to be informed about the most appropriate treatment for your case. Be aware of the possibilities and existing treatments to solve your dental problem.
Dental prostheses are going to last in your mouth for many years, therefore, one of the basic points is to demand that the materials that are going to be used for your operation are of high quality. Remember that your health is at stake.
It is good that you know that all the prosthesis must be endorsed by the CE marking, this simply indicates that you have a guarantee that it complies with all the quality regulations required by the EU for these medical devices.
What should you consider before putting on a dental prosthesis?
- As we have already mentioned, it is important to choose a trusted clinic.
- Deal directly with the professional who is going to perform the operation. Do not accept that intermediaries explain the treatment to you, in general, this does not fit with reality. Sit down and talk with the specialist and ask all the questions you consider necessary before the intervention.
- Feel confident with the implantologist.
- The healthcare center must inform you about everything related to the treatments that exist for your case, with or without dental prostheses, as well as the number of them that you need.
- You must be fully informed of the type of prosthesis that is going to be used for your treatment and of the commercial brand. Today there are many brands and each of them has a great variety.
- Therefore, it is essential that you know the brand of the product, platform, type of connection, among others.
- Another thing to consider is how long the treatment will last. That is, from the beginning of the surgery phase, until the moment where the lost teeth are replaced with the definitive dental prosthesis. If the procedures are grouped, it decreases the patient’s stay and reduces the stress that surgery can cause.
- Define the provisional prosthesis that the patient will wear until the definitive treatment can be carried out, in the case of being fixed or removable, if it is supported on teeth or on implants.
- You must be informed about any setback that may arise when placing the prosthesis.
Tips for a good recovery after treatment
There is no estimated time for the fixation of the prosthesis to the bone, this can vary from one patient to another. However, that process can take from 2 to 6 months. So, as well as the quality of the dental prosthesis and the experience of the dentist, it is necessary to fully comply with the medical indications of the post-treatment phase.
Our intention is not to worry you, but you should be aware that among the symptoms that will arise after placing the prosthesis may be:
- Bleeding from the wound, you will need to apply gauzes and put pressure on the wound. Do it carefully.
- Swelling, that can last for several days.
- Fever in some cases.
To improve these symptoms, you should consider taking the medications prescribed by the specialist. If those symptoms persist, don’t hesitate to contact him.
The commitment of the patient is essential for the surgery to be successful, in addition to limiting the possibilities of complications due to inappropriate behavior. These are some of the most frequent recommendations after the placement of dental prostheses:
- To reduce inflammation, apply cold intermittently to the treated area.
- No physical effort should be made during the first two weeks of the intervention.
- To avoid bleeding, it is best to sleep with your head slightly elevated.
- Consider having a soft food diet, for the time recommended by the specialist, avoid chewing hot foods and drinks.
- You should not smoke or drink alcoholic beverages. Tobacco puts your health and treatment at risk. It can cause dental conditions and peri-implantitis.
- It is imperative to maintain excellent oral hygiene and be careful when cleaning the affected area.
Dental prosthetics are a wonderful technique to give you back a beautiful smile. Like everything, it has its advantages and disadvantages.
It is a simple treatment, although on some occasions it needs the help of adjuvant treatments such as grafts or regeneration, for stable and aesthetic results to be as expected.
Likewise, the realization of teeth that allow the prosthesis to be properly sanitized is very important and sometimes it is something that dentists tend to overlook.
But, with us you will not have that problem, we do not overlook any detail that you should know. So if you want more information on the subject, do not hesitate to contact us. To do this you just have to click here.